Friday, December 10, 2010

How to Say Goodbye?


This week was awesome because the final book in Richelle Mead's Vampire Academy series, Last Sacrifice, was published.

This week was horrible because the final book in Richelle Mead's Vampire Academy series, Last Sacrifice, was published.

Readers, do you understand this contradiction? I'm sure you do.

One of the best and worst things about books you truly love is knowing they'll come to an end. When the books are part of a series it seems to me that this anticipation, joy, and sorry are amplified because you're that much more invested in the story arc and its characters.

I loved Last Sacrifice - it was a fantastic conclusion to the series. But I woke up this morning feeling a little blue because I'd spent time in the last two days sneaking time to cuddle up with my book and devour it. While I have many other wonderful books to read in my house, there is something about waiting for a book you've been wanting and stealing that time to spend with it that makes the experience exceptional.

This isn't a sudden revelation - my husband woke up to find me sobbing in bed at 5 a.m. because I'd just finished Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

"What's wrong?" He asked.

"I finished the book!" I cried.

Despite my post-book blues, I wouldn't trade the wonder of that emotional journey with characters for anything. But I'm wondering - how do you cope with the end of favorite series?

12 comments:

  1. I am going to feel the same way when The Mortal Instrument Series and your series ends. Outside of these two, there's only been one other series I got attached to and ended up not liking the last book, so I didn't all emotional over the series ending. I know that won't be the case with TMI or the Nightshade series. I'm sure I'll cry like a baby when they end, and feel totally fulfilled at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sad with the thought of saying goodbye to Rose and Adrian that I can't get myself t read past the first chapter. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad to know that I'm not a freak. I just a mere few minutes ago, finished the above mentioned, Last Sacrifice, and I feel as though I have been physically punched in the chest. I mean what is up with that? I loved the conclusion.... why do i feel this way! I could probably work up a few tears too, if I really wanted to.

    I had a very similar reaction as you did for Harry Potter! Except it wasn't in bed at 5 am....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the series to death, but in the end I was jumping up and down with happiness, mainly becuase my plot prediction(who killed the queen and the sibling thing), for the first time ever, were right(and my victory was spent dancing around my room). I cope by re-reading my favourite scenes from the book, to remind me even though its over, I still have it. But I guess I am sad, but the hope about the spin- off series keeps me going. XD

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too just finnished Last Sacrifice but I'm not sad. I'm not sad, because soon I'm going to read this book again, then I'm going to wait for some LS fanart being released, than I'm going to watch VA movie and then I'll probably read the whole series once more. And even then I don't think I will be done with the Vampire Academy , because I just can't imagine this situation. And till I have this small things to look forward to, I just refuse to mourn the ending:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I know the feeling! I was bouncing around my house so excitedly when I got Deathly Hallows, and I cried through the last half knowing it was almost over (and it's just an emotional story). Usually when I finish a series, I spend like... three days thinking over the whole story (book one to the last book), and then I try to find another series or another good book to take my mind off it. Usually does the trick... until the end of that book/series... :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so understand this. I was also sobbing when I finished HP and the last few chapters of Last Sacrifice. I'm bereft until I find something else to read!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been drowing my sorrows in Pepsi and cherry chocolates! LOL. Finishing a series is like your best friend moving away. The great part about books is that the characters live on in our imagination, they are never really gone and can become part of who you are.

    I still find myself quoting Dumbldore....

    ReplyDelete
  9. The way I cope with series that I love ending is...I don't! I have this horrible tendency to buy the last book in the series and hoard it for forever and a day because I don't want to finish the series and say goodbye to the characters permanently. Yeah I can re-read the books but the magic of the first time, not knowing what's around the corner- that's gone. And I hate goodbyes. Bookish goodbyes, if anything, are the worst. Because of this I have at least the last book of at least six series sitting on my shelves, waiting to be read, except I doubt I'll ever find the courage to do so!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know! I love VA sooo much. . . . so hard to say goodbye with Rose and Dimka. . . .

    i'm looking for a new to series to follow. want to buy your book but it isnt available here yet. :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was at Richelle Mead's author event last night. During Q and A someone ask her if she would write a werewolf story. She said "No, but if you like a wereworlf story you should read Andrea Cremer's Nightshade." The comment earned lots of cheers and then she said (nightshade) it's a really good.
    Anyway, I thought you would like to know the compliment. :D
    Merry Christmas.
    kjovus(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete