Thursday, December 24, 2009

Now in Technicolor! Christmas Specials

It's Christmas Eve and we're snowed in (and will be snowed in for some time - more on that tomorrow), so what better way to while the away the hours than by watching one's favorite TV Christmas Specials! (You thought I'd say reading, didn't you? Okay, you caught me, I'll be reading too. A lot.)

But before reading, I wanted to continue in the vein of favorite holiday wackiness and some of the wackiest wack comes in the form of televised holiday cheer. Some I just can't stomach, but others make me giggle, and still others draw the nostalgic tear.

Good for giggles:
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (1964)
Stop motion animation? An elf who wants to be dentist? Burl Ives the snowman? And of course the Abominable Snowman? What's not to love??


A Christmas Story (1983)From double-dog dares to the Bumpbus dogs there is too much to love in this movie. But my favorite: Snow Suit Immobilization.


But the special most likely to make me snort eggnog up my nose from laughter:
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (1989)



(And I know it's crazy, but I love that song!! Proof that I'm a child of the 80s, no doubt)

And last but not least, nostalgia-filled favorite Christmas special of all time:
A Muppet Family Christmas (1987), which contains this unforgettable moment -

6 comments:

  1. All great choices, but you can't beat Rudolph, Hermie, and Yukon Cornelius! Where's Santa Claus is Coming to Town"? That one is awesome, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww, gobbler Big Bird. *smiley tears*
    Stay snug tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry bout the being snowed in, but it sounds like you will make the best of it.

    Be safe and don't forget to keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great choices, but you gotta luv that Santa is such a biggot in Rudolph. We watched it the other night with the kids and I cringed.

    The snow suit in A Christmas Story is hysterical. It's our family joke everytime we go skiing.

    Have a very merry Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I LOVE Muppet Family Christmas. I have it recorded on VHS at home. It's my favorite Christmas movie to watch. :)

    ReplyDelete