Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Light Up The World


I know that just two posts ago I suggested the darkness of Winter Solstice is something to be treasured rather than feared. Nonetheless I can't claim that the long dark hours of this season don't take their toll. Hence today's post, #2 in the Holiday Extravaganza: Christmas Lights.

Christmas lights make coming home in the dark a little less oppressive. When I walk my dogs in the evening and pass bushes, trees, windows twinkling with an array of colors, or the subtle glow of solitary white lights, I feel much happier.

Whether they be multi-colored casting a candy-hued glow all around the tree,


or the ethereal quality of clear white lights, imparting the magic of the season, in contrast to the fun, celebratory quality of crazy colors.
I can even get behind the over-the-top bonanza light displays,


though I don't know if I'd want to live next door to this.



Do you put lights up for the holidays? What kind?

4 comments:

  1. This year my whole family rented a condo in Palm Springs (I know, very Christmassy) and we've been here all week, so for the first time I can remember, I don't have a tree or any decorations at home :( When I do, all my lights are white. I'm sort of a traditionalist and it looks more like candles to me.

    I'm glad you finally got your tree straight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Lisa, I prefer little white lights, and I often turn off all the other lights so they look like stars to me. I'm not wowed by techno displays--altho I will say the two white claw-hand trees would be awesome at Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely LOVE that baby picture - wow! The others are beautiful, too.

    Christmas lights make me feel at peace, restful, content. I love them. We have them in front of our house - the rainbow colors are my favorite. :)

    Merry Christmas, Andrea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are switching to LED this year, so it's going to take us a while to build up the supply. Right now, just a few strands, colorful, of course.

    Love the lights of Christmas.

    Shelley

    ReplyDelete